Engaging energy transition to pursue a new energy system
Our current energy system predominantly relies upon fossil fuel producer countries and large electricity supplier companies. They strongly influence energy market prices and provide energy from sources that considerably impact the environment and human health. This system, however, is no longer sustainable.
Due to this, the National Pact for the Energy Transition of Catalonia aims to transform the existing energy model into a self-governed system with ambitious carbon reduction and energy efficiency goals. This scheme entrusts driving energy transition on the territory and eliminating barriers to energy access to local authorities.
The challenge is to design innovative solutions to effectively communicate and involve civil society in building a new renewable, transparent, distributed energy system that empowers communities. One or several of the following strategies may be addressed in this challenge:
· Promoting the exploitation and distribution of local sources of energy production
· Changing energy consumption habits (i.e., domestic, mobility, recreational) into more efficient and lower impact activities
· Raising awareness of future energy system implications on landscape and daily life
The proposed solutions should take into consideration the environmental and social context of the Vallès Occidental region to maximise its contribution to effective energy transition. Although communication actions are not restricted to any particular design to foster innovation, they need to be able to be readily applied in a cost-effective manner.
The course includes seven (7) compulsory course elements, five (5) group assignments and one (1) individual reflection assignment.
- KICK-OFF/COURSE START. Monday, October 17th, 15:00 – 17:00
- WORKSHOP on CLIMATE CHANGE AND SUSTAINABLE ENERGY. Wednesday, November 2nd, 15.00-19.00
- HANDS-ON with DESIGN THINKING. Wednesday, November 16th 15.00-19.00
- TEAMWORK PROJECTS DISCUSSION. Monday, November 28th, 15:00 – 18:00
- MOBILITY EXPERIENCE IN BARCELONA. December 13th to December 15th (*)
- PITCH-TRAINING. Wednesday, January 11th, 15:00 – 17:00
- CLOSING SESSION (including presentations to the challenge-owner). Wednesday, February 8th, 15:00 – 18:00.
(*) Whenever possible. Otherwise, it will be substituted with alternative events. Not mandatory
Duration: October 2022-February 2023
Application deadline: 10th of October
Workload: 150 hours
Format: This challenge proposes hybrid work, through online and presential activities.
This challenge may include a short mobility experience in Barcelona (pending to be confirmed).
Suitability for students and lifelong learners.
Credit type: micro-credential/ECIU certificate/ECTS
Number of seats avaliable: 20