Increase the (feeling of) autonomy of people with a visual impairment
At the beginning of June 2021, I suddenly became blind. Before that I cycled a lot on my sports bike and mountain bike. I enjoyed this a lot. Because of my blindness this is no longer possible, and I miss this very much.
Until now, blind and very visually impaired people can only cycle on a tandem or duo bike. As a result, they are always on the same bicycle with another person. It is not possible to use your own bicycle individually. So far, there is no solution available for blind and visually impaired people who would like to move independently and separately from another person on their own bicycle. Some of them, including myself, would like to experience more independence.
Depending on what the solution is, it might also have broader usage, eg.
- assist in training children with visual impairment in walking/cycling on their own;
- as a confidence boost for blind people to try things on their own;
- as a (temporary) support for blind people to find a fixed route to eg school, work, sports
Increase the (feeling of) autonomy of people with a visual impairment, in such a way that they can cycle with (much) less dependency on other people.
We hope to have useful insights to or a direction towards innovative solutions that will help blind and visually impaired people gain a more independent life.
Blind and visually impaired citizens.
Information to students
This is an extracurricular challenge: together with your challenge provider and teammates you determine your input
- Deadline for application: September 28th, 2021
- Start date: October 1st - November 1st, 2021
- End date: December 17th, 2021
- ECTS depending on your hours spent
To be determined
For more information contact:
Challenge coordinator University of Twente
+31 6 24 898 340