The County Administrative Board (CAB) - or Länsstyrelsen - is the national government representative office in the county of Östergötland. CAB has a broad area of responsibility concerning environment, nature, competence sourcing, the business community, social development, animal protection, infrastructure, and housing. Our task is to coordinate these and other areas of public responsibility to achieve efficient solutions for a sustainable society. The County administrative boards have overall responsibility and a coordinating role for regional action programs to achieve the Swedish environmental objectives (e.g. a non-toxic environment). CAB performs environmental monitoring and is also responsible for, e.g. the implementation of the Water Framework Directive and Marine Strategy Framework Directive at the regional level.
The amount of waste created in society is increasing. Large quantities of waste are disposed of at landfills with no or insufficient treatment. Much of the waste contains hazardous substances such as heavy metals and organic toxins (e.g. PFAS and PBDEs). The hazardous substances are leaking into the environment from both closed and active landfills. The environmental goals within the Water Framework Directive and Marine Strategy Framework Directive are not achieved for many surface waters, and measures are needed to improve water quality. CAB is leading a Swedish Institute funded collaborative project called ‘Reduced inflows of hazardous substances from landfills into the Baltic Sea’ (REHAZE) to address the unsustainable handling of waste and the continuous leakage of hazardous substances from landfills into the Baltic Sea.
The overall aim of the REHAZE project is to reduce the leakage of hazardous substances from landfills into adjacent rivers and the Baltic Sea. The project focuses on both preventive and technical measures to reduce pollution load from landfills. Current methods for waste treatment and disposal are often inadequate; therefore, we want to identify and map purification techniques and the purification efficiency for selected priority substances. We want to create new tools and recommendations for sustainable and efficient management strategies of landfills.
Deadline for application: 2022-01-14
This project is part of a cross-disciplinary course at Linköping University and gives 8 ECTS. It is a part-time course (25 %), lasts for one semester and includes about 215 hours of work. After completing the course, a diploma will be awarded.
ECIU students applying for this project will also apply to the inGenious course but via a particular admission system (MoveOn). A senior coordinator at Linköping University will contact ECIU students for more information.
Read more about the course here: https://liu.se/en/education/course/799g52
The course includes nine (9) compulsory course elements including five (5) group assignments and one (1) individual reflection assignment.
- KICK OFF, Tuesday, January 18th, TIME: 13:00 – 17:00
- SUBMISSION OF CONTRACTS, DEADLINE, Monday, January 31st, TIME: 08:00
- WORKSHOP - "SHITTY PROTOTYPING", Thursday, February 3rd, TIME: 13:00 – 16:00
- SUBMISSION OF PROJECT PLANS, DEADLINE, Friday, February 11th, TIME: 08:00
- THE ART OF PITCHING (Seminar), Wednesday, February 16th, TIME: 13.00 – 16.00
- NO SLIDE 1-MINUTE-PITCH, Tuesday, Mars 2nd, TIME: 09:00 – 12:00
- PITCH-TRAINING [3 minutes with slides], Monday, Mars 28th, TIME: 08:00 – 17:00
- SUBMISSION OF RESPONSIBLE INNOVATION CHAPTER, DEADLINE, Wednesday, Mars 30th, TIME: 08:00
- RESPONSIBLE INNOVATION SEMINAR, Thursday, Mars 31st, TIME: 09.00 – 12.00 LOCATION:
- 3-MINUTE-PITCH, Monday, April 11th, TIME: 9.00 – 12:00
- SUBMISSION OF GROUP DYNAMICS REFLECTION, DEADLINE Thursday, April 14th, TIME: 08:00
- PITCH-TRAINING [5 minutes], Tuesday, May 3rd, TIME: 08.00 – 17:00
- GRADUATION EVENT, 5-MINUTE-PITCH, Tuesday, May 17th, TIME: 13:00 – 17:00
- SUBMISSION PROJECT REPORT, DEADLINE, Friday, May 20th, TIME: 08.00
- SUBMISSION OF INDIVIDUAL REFLECTION, DEADLINE, Tuesday, May 24th, TIME: 08.00
If you have any questions about the course or the project, please contact Cia Lundvall, email@example.com