Data and software services for a sustainable city
The City of Tampere aims to be carbon neutral by 2030. The city's climate actions have been compiled into the Carbon Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap. The roadmap includes 236 actions under six themes: urban planning, mobility, construction, energy, consumption and nature. To achieve carbon neutrality, the everyday actions of citizens have a huge impact. The way we live, move and consume affects greatly the emissions and thus the goal. Sustainable Tampere 2030 initiative is trying to tackle these issues.
Tampere.Finland is a service application meant for residents and tourists in Tampere. It can also be a way to help individuals adapt to the changing environment. The app contains public transportation info, recycling possibilities among many other services. It is also being constantly updated to meet the people’s needs.
How could the app better serve the city of Tampere and Pirkanmaa region to help us better reach the carbon neutrality goals? How can we develop data and software solutions that will help us create a socially, economically, ecologically and culturally sustainable city? How to scale these services to the European level?
Learners will join a “Data and Software Business” module (5 ECTS) that is organized by unit of information and knowledge management, Tampere University.
The module includes a theoretical part to learn about doing business with Data and Software. The lectures will be provided with online access and include guest lectures from the software industry. Learners will work in small groups during the challenge activity to develop their data and software concepts for the sustainable city. The learners will be provided sparring during the challenge activities. The challenge ends in a pitching event organized in collaboration with Tampere city, Tribe-start up community, HUBS and Business Tampere.
Tampere's vibrant community
The challenge however also consists in identifying possible new target groups
Expectations from students
The “Data and Software Business” module consists of lectures, guest lectures, Individual exercise, course exercise + presentations in the final event.
Two main tasks have to be completed successfully:
- Individual exercise (40% of the final grade, tests your theoretical knowledge)
- Group exercise (60% of the final grade, related to successful reporting and pitching of the data or software concept for sustainable city)
Lecture recordings will be available through Moodle / Panopto. Access will be provided.
Lectures and online participation mainly through Zoom.
Learners will have an opportunity to handle their group work in a newly developed ECIU University XR Campus – a multi-user Virtual Reality environment. Note, opt in procedure will be presented in the kick-off and will be available on a first served basis.
Deadline for application: 2 August 2021
Period: August 30 to October 13, 2021
Structure of challenge: Online
Limitation: Only 20 places are available for students from ECIU partner network in the autumn implementation
Activities: Proactive collaboration within international teams,communication with the challenge provider, teamcher, other stakeholders
Assessment and Schedule
• KICK-OFF – Challenge and module introduction (30.8.2021)
Group building initiates
• Lecture on Business models (1.9.2021)
• Lecture on Revenue and pricing + optional idea sparring (6.9.2021)
Groups work actively at their own pace throughout next weeks
• Lecture on Cloud computing and open source business (9.9.2021)
• Lecture on Software business vs service business and Internationalization (13.9.2021)
• Guest speech from the industry (15.9.2021) TBA
• Guest speech from the industry (20.9.2021) TBA
• Guest speech from the industry (22.9.2021) TBA
• Guest speech from the industry (27.9.2021) TBA
• Lecture on Managing software and IP (29.9.2021)
• Idea sparring (voluntary) (4.10)
• Rehearsal pitching session (voluntary) (6.10)
• Final pitching event @ Tribe / online (13.10)
On the completion of the learning activities, learners will be issued micro-credentials after successful completion of the challenge in the corresponding Data and Software Business module. The learner will be awarded a forgery-proof, verifiable digital proof in a competence passport ECIU University is currently developing.